Love The Beatles? Then Join Us!
Registrations Now Open - Yes You Can Join In Too!

Get Back - The Beatles Song Meaning?

Obviously this is The Beatles Songs Forum where you may discuss any of the recordings by the Fab Four. Because The Beatles songs are all sweet, we shall call this forum 'A Taste Of Honey'.
Jem
Back In The USSR
Back In The USSR

Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:30 am

The record starts off with 'Sweet Loretta Fart she thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan' :lol:
Unusual to say the least, but it was the sixties after
And what does this mean 'Sweet Loretta Martin thought she was a woman, but she was another man' :lol:
Also, who on earth was Jojo?

The chorus is 'Get Back To Where You Once Belonged' so who are they referring to?
Then the song ends with, 'I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves, and I hope we passed the audition'.
Just a little fun there I suggest.

Very interesting song that I love but don't fully understand it all.
I have heard all the racist rubbish so I am not interested in that.
This is because the song is perfectly acceptable with nothing to suggest racism.
Well, perhaps those political correct loonies that want an apology for every word ever spoken might say there is.
I am intrigued by Sweet Loretta Martin and Jojo as this song is the only place I have heard of them.

Julie
Back In The USSR
Back In The USSR

Re: Get Back - The Beatles Song Meaning?

Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:51 pm

I used to think that JoJo was a reference to Yoko Ono.
Paul McCartney did look at her when he sang that portion of the song ie 'get back to where you once belong'.
At the time, the song referring to Pakistanis taking British jobs might conform something but nobody really knows.

The other idea was that JoJo is Linda Eastman's first husband who was from Tucson, Arizona like in the song.
Incidentally, he was called Joseph.
However, Paul denied this.

So, for the JoJo bit, I don't know, but I think nowadays, I believe the second option sounds more feasible.
It matters not whether Paul McCartney said then, with the lack of information about this subject, that's what I go for now.

As for Sweet Loretta Martin, well should we take it literally?
Sweet Loretta Martin thought she was a woman, but she was another man.
Well if we do, then it is obviously about a transvestite surely.
However, why is Sweet Loretta Martin in the song to begin with?
Did a Beatles member have a bad experience here?
Again, very little official information comes our way so it is all pure speculation.

Spider
Back In The USSR
Back In The USSR

Re: Get Back - The Beatles Song Meaning?

Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:49 am

Julie wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:51 pm
The other idea was that JoJo is Linda Eastman's first husband who was from Tucson, Arizona like in the song.
Incidentally, he was called Joseph.
However, Paul denied this.
Very strange :lol: